- A song can remind us of a past event or a certain past time in our lives.
These memories can be happy, sad, or just memories. (Weddings, births, deaths, our first dance, our first date, etc.)
- Certain songs can create peace during a non-peaceful time in our lives. Songs that are relaxing and easy to listen to.
- Some music can bring us closer to our spiritual self.
It doesn't matter what religious doctrine you follow, each religion has it's own music – chants, hymns, In my case, it is Christian hymns. When I sing or hear a Christian hymn, my mind goes to God, my blessings, my beliefs, and the scriptures.
- Music is good for the health of your brain.
Music lessons and listening to classical music has been researched and found to improve IQ. Yes, your IQ can be improved by listening to classical music. Other types of music have not been proven to have as good results. Taking lessons in music, whether an instrument or vocal, forces your brain to learn to think on multiple levels. For example, playing the piano requires independent movements from each hand. Improves hand and eye coordination also.
- Music is good for managing pain:
Music is used by pain management therapists to help patients relax. It can help patients use less pain medication. Music can help improve breathing (respiration), blood pressure, heart rate, and can even help muscles to relax. Patients that are given music therapy have an improve quality of life and a more peaceful state of mind.
- Music can give your gym or home workout a real boost:
There's a reason that Zumba classes are so popular. The workout is dancing, but also a strenuous, cardio workout. The music can make a difference in the intensity of the workout. Softer music is good for warm ups, faster music is good for raising heart rate, and the middle is good for building stamina. Here's a link to an interesting study point for music and workouts: https://bit.ly/2vNkOVt
- Music can make you a better person:There has been some research into the affects of music on our personalities. While some songs can bring out the “wild child” in us and sometimes cause us to lose good judgement (drink more alcohol, get into fights, drive too fast, etc.) some can make us more compassionate and empathetic. Here is a link to information on a study done on young children and compassion: https://bit.ly/2uZxyrz
There are many other ways that music improves our lives. Music has always been around in various forms.
Music also varies depending on the region of the United States and regions in other countries. There is a distinct difference in music from various countries and it is all beautiful. Even when you may not know the language of a country or people, music is a universally understood language.
Here are a few samples of music from other countries:
remember you are not only doing something enjoyable,
but also good for your health and improving your life.
Enrich your life with music from multiple cultures and countries.
What is your favorite song? What is your favorite genre of music? Have you considered learning to sing or play an instrument? How does music affect you? Do you have any interesting stories about certain songs or music experiences to share?