Starting at any age is better than not starting at all and within a matter of time, you will be walking so well no one would know you just started. It is one of the best things you can do for yourself today.
When I started back to daily walking after several years of neglect, I would walk as far as I could (not very far) and then sit for a few minutes before starting again. Now I can easily walk 4-6 miles at one time.
Some of the wonderful benefits to walking everyday are:
1. It reduces stress. Walking everyday will reduce both physical and mental stress by increasing blood flow.
2. It will add years to your life. If you are healthier, less stressed out, and happy you will live longer...that's a fact (borrowing any accidents, of course.)
3. It lowers your risk of chronic disease. The American Diabetes Association says walking lowers your blood sugar levels and your overall risk for diabetes. The New England Journal of Medicine in 2002, found that people who walked 30 or more minutes or had moderate activity on 5 or more days per week, had a 30% lower risk of cardiovascular disease.That's just two of many risks that are lowered due to walking.
4. It helps you lose weight and then keep it off. Suggestions through various studies indicate that walking between 8,000 and 10,000 steps per day (four to five miles) is extremely effective for losing weight. I can attest that this is a true statement. Of course, every step you take over 10,000 is just that much better
5. It boosts Brain health. Many studies have been done on the benefits of walking. Daily walks are excellent, but even a 40 minute walk three times a week has tremendous health benefits to our brain.
6. It boosts your social life.
Moving is an important element to staying youthful and active. If you can walk, it is the best thing you can do for yourself. If you add in other exercises, then you can see major improvements in your strength and agility no matter what age you are.
Get out and walk! Walk your neighborhood, walk in a nearby park, walk at an indoor track at a gym, walk on a treadmill if you have one.
JUST GET OUT AND WALK!
Do you walk at least three times a week? Do you walk every day? Do you get at least 8,000 to 10,000 steps in at least three times a week? How do you feel when you walk? Where do you walk and where is your favorite place to walk?